Slider

Why I date my daughter + Ideas for mommy daughter date

Friday, July 31, 2015

I wasn't raised in a "family over everything" environment.
 In fact, it is hard to say I was 'raised' at all. Not to discredit my mother because I love her dearly and I know that she did everything she was physically and mentally capable of for my brother and I, but I kind of just drifted through my adolescence without much guidance from family members. From the time I can remember, my family members have always stabbed each other in the back. My uncle even got my mom fired from a well paying job that probably would have changed where and how I grew up.
There was no sense of security in my house growing up. 
My mom was gone a lot. She worked all the time. We moved from one bad neighborhood to the next. 
 I don't ever remember there being 'family nights' or even getting to hang out with my mom one on one. I always yearned for family time. I was jealous of my friends that actually had that. I went through a bad case of depression and acted out because of it. Happy family times were far and few between but that was the norm for me. That is all I knew. Home never felt like a safe place for me. I went through a pretty bad situation and I believe it has caused me to suppress a lot of memories from my childhood. I'm thankful though, I can't imagine they're good memories.... 
My childhood had me on a fast track to go nowhere. I could very easily have become a product of my environment. Many of the people I grew up with are examples of that. 
I believe that Jordyn changed that. She literally saved my life.

There is something that happens when you become a mother. It's like a light switches on and all of a sudden you want to do everything possible to give that child the best life ever. 
For me, it was the burning desire to give her that family foundation that I never had. I didn't want her to grow up in the same situations I did. I didn't want her having the same twisted views about family that I did. I vowed to always be there and to celebrate the small things just as enthusiastically as the big things.
For me to become the best mother I could possibly be, I knew I had to let go of all of the hurt and anger that I held inside. It took a long time for me to come to terms with what I went through as a child and young adult but now that I have, i'm thankful for it. Those experiences and mistakes molded me into who I am today. It wasn't easy but I am now the happiest i've ever been. I'm living in the present and no longer dwelling in the past. My relationship is fulfilling and meaningful and I appreciate everything I have rather than focusing on what I don't have or what I think I need. 
Jordyn is a reflection of this happiness. There is not a day that goes by that I don't see it in her. It is definitely a sight for the eyes. Almost magic like. 
I've built a home and a life for her that she can be proud of. And I work everyday to protect and nourish this life. I'm very blessed to be able to have a work schedule that allows me to be home with her as much as I am. I'm also very thankful for the man in our lives who helps make this house a home. Our little family is everything to me and it has filled all the voids from my own childhood.  

I have no traditions or memories to pass down to Jordyn so we spend a lot of time creating new ones. We typically spend weeknights together as a family but I like to create memories with her one on one.
I never had a bond with my mother as a child, so I want to make sure that Jordyn and I can build a lasting bond by having mommy and daughter dates.
I want her to know that it's important to me so we set aside time for our dates and we never break them.

Here are just a few mommy/daughter things that we like to do:

*Movies
*board games
*video games.
*Crafting.
*farmers markets
*museums
*yoga
*Bake and cook together.



*bowling
*park
*scavenger hunts
*stargazing
*Get dressed up all fancy and go out to breakfast, lunch, or dinner. :)
 
*library
*ice cream
*donuts
*Starbucks
*read together
*play soccer
 *A stroll through the park and duck watching.
 
*Strolling and sight seeing different parts of the city.


*painting
*drawing
*coloring
*hiking
*picnics
*skating
*day as a tourist in our own city

Whatever we decide to do together, I make sure that I am present and in the moment. I'm not always on my phone, i'm not distracted when she's talking to me. I am hers. My attention is all on her. I want her to always know that no matter how small or big the conversation is, she always has my full attention.

Xo, Jeanice :)

1 comment:

  1. I try to date my daughter once per week at least. That means we spend the whole day together, and there is no one, but only two of us! By the way, your hairstyles are amazing. Thank you for the ideas! I love beautiful hairstyles .

    ReplyDelete

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan