Slider

The floating orange: A lesson in being your whole self.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015


Jordyn and I were talking about starting second grade. She told me she's nervous but really excited. She's worried about whether her friends from last year will be in her class, she wonders who her teacher will be, she's worried about making new friends and wonders if she will encounter any bullies. I can't believe she's going to be in the second grade. Crazy. She's growing up so fast. 
Jordyn is a special spirit. I find that kids her age are either too advanced ( boys, cell phones, social media accounts, knowledge of things they shouldn't know about) or not mentally advanced enough to stimulate and interest her.  I love her spirit and never want her to feel like she needs to strip away herself to fit in, but I do understand that she is growing up and she's entering an age where "fitting in" is all most kids want to do. 
I do my best to encourage her to always be herself and pick friends that accept her for who she is.  I've stated before that she is a visual learner so this floating orange lesson was perfect for showing what happens when you strip away the pieces of yourself to fit in.

The orange with its full armor will float. It is it's whole self.
As I talked with Jordyn about what happens when you strip away even the tiniest pieces of yourself I peeled away pieces of the orange.  We talked about doing things you don't really want to do just to fit in. We talked about letting 'friends' boss you around. We talked about not standing up for what is right if a 'friend' is doing something wrong. We talked about being disobeient and lying just because others are. With each example I peeled away a piece of the orange. 
Each time I peeled away a piece I put it back into the water. The orange sunk lower and lower until eventually it was bare, with no armor, and sunk to the bottom. 

Always being true to yourself will hold you up and keep you afloat in a world meant to try and sink you.

All you need for this lesson is 2 oranges, water, and a bowl big enough for the oranges to be fully emerged. It's a super easy but very effective lesson that will stick with kids. 

Xo, Jeanice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan