Slider

Speak your mind, but don't be rude.

Thursday, July 16, 2015

I raise my daughter to speak her mind, question the norm, and have her own opinions. 
To always stand by her beliefs even if it is unpopular. 
To stand up for what she believes is right.
To never placate someone that may not agree with her or offer any apologies for her views or opinions. 
They are her own and she is free to form and speak them. 

She is free to always voice her opinion and I am always open to hearffd Because I allow her to express herself so freely, our line of communication is wide open. 
She knows I will listen to her and respect her opinions no matter how small or big the topic may be.

As free as she is to form and voice her own opinions, she is NOT free to be rude when expressing them. 
I want her to have a sense of individuality without thinking that her views are better than anyone else's. I try to teach her that others are entitled to speak their mind just as I allow her to speak hers and that she should be open to hearing everyones views without being overly dismissive and rude about it.  

We have a zero tolerance policy for rudeness in our home. 
I have very few rules in my home but a big one is to always treat people how she wants to be treated and to always speak to the janitor at her school the same way she would speak to her principle. With respect.


Speaking your mind while still respecting others is a very easy thing to do but for some reason in this day and age, people think they're opinion is better than the next. They are dismissive of other points of views and resort to putting others down when they don't agree.

I'm teaching my daughter that speaking your mind and being rude do not need to go hand in hand so I
used this little toothpaste lesson to show Jordyn a visual of why she should be careful with the words she speaks.

I had her squeeze the toothpaste out of the tube



and then challenged her to put it back.



Barely anything will go back into the tube.
Much like your words and rude comments. Once they come out of your mouth, you cannot take them back.

There are studies that suggest that once someone hears an insult, it takes 30 compliments to cancel out that insult.
However, I don't believe that.

I teach my daughter that no matter how many times you try to compliment a person after you've insulted them, in the back of their mind they will remember your awful words.


People forgive, but rarely forget so have your opinion but don't be rude about it.

Xo, Jeanice :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan