Slider

Summer protective styling.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Happy Wednesday! How excited are we for the summer?! 
As much as I love Summer, I HATE how hot and dry it is here. We live in Las Vegas, it reaches well into the 100 degree temps here. Even the air is dry. Ugh. Its terrible. This heat wrecks havoc on our hair so we make sure to ALWAYS protective style to prevent our hair from drying out.
Jordyn isn't a fan of protective styles so I try to add cute accessories to make them cute for her. People protective style in a variety of different ways, I like to make ours quick and simple. We mostly do buns, twists, puffs, or braids that take 5 mins or less. 
I don't pull tightly when I do these styles. I like her hair to be secure but I don't like to cause pulling or breakage.
 Everyone has their own reasoning for protective styling. My main focus when protective styling is to maintain moisture and to make sure her ends are tucked away and protected from the heat and dry air. 
I don't use very many products during summertime.
 Most days I just make sure to moisturize her hair using the LCO method and then just style with no additional product. 
My go to protective styles.
For our LCO method we start by spraying the hair all over using a mixture of water/ leave in conditioner in a spray bottle. Right now we are using THIS SheaMoisture leave in. 
We follow that up with a cream moisturizer. Right now we are using THIS Miss Jessies baby butter creme.
Then we seal everything in with THIS coconut oil and style. 
The only other product I use is an edge tamer. THIS Curls blueberry bliss control paste is my favorite. 

These three things I have found to be extremely important when protective styling. 
TIGHTNESS.
Try not to pull on the hair too tightly, this will end up causing breakage and doing more harm than good. 
PRODUCTS.
Look for products that maintain moisture. Since the products are going to be sitting in your hair for periods of time, try to avoid products that can cause a lot of buildup. 
WASH.
Make sure you are still washing your hair. protective styling does not mean you don't need to wash your hair when necessary. When build up starts to occur and your scalp feels dry and itchy, you know its time to wash. 

I like our styles to be quick and easy but still fun and cute. 
Pictured above is my favorite protective styles, what are some of your favorite protective styles?

Xo, Jeanice :)





No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan