Slider

Natural Kids Back To School Protective Style Hair inspiration.

Tuesday, August 1, 2017

We love a good protective style over here. Mostly because we are just so busy it's easier for all of us if we don't have to worry about doing hair constantly. It's also easier for the man when I have to go to work...I love him to death for attempting to make a bun look decent but I wouldn't say hair care is his calling, he should definitely not quit his day job. 
Back to school is right around the corner & I know I can't be alone in struggling to figure out which hairstyle our kiddos are going back with?!...Jords has finally decided how she wants her hair but for a while, I was scouring Pinterest & Instagram for inspiration. 
Since I know I can't be the only one searching for hair inspo on the web, I decided to share my 4 favorite protective styles that Jordyn has worn. Just in case one of you happen to be as stumped as I was. 

CLASSIC BRAIDS. 



Individual braids are a classic, beautiful style that lasts for weeks with very little upkeep maintenance. 

GET THE LOOK.
This look was created with braiding hair from Sally Beauty
& styled with the Eden BodyWorks Kids line.

INDIVIDUAL CROCHET HAVANA TWISTS.


Individual crochet braids give you the time saving & protective benefits of crochet braids but gives more versatility when it comes to styling! 

GET THE LOOK.
I used Zury Hollywood Kids Havana crochet hair for this style. 
You can watch our Individual crochet braid video HERE

 MARLEY TWISTS.

Marley twists are my favorite protective style for both Jordyn & myself. 
They're easy to do and offer so much convenience & versatility when styling. 

GET THE LOOK.
I used about 2 packs of marley hair from my local beauty supply store that were around 4.99 per pack . For the shorter look, the hair was cut in half and I only used about 1 1/2 pack of hair.
 Most of the time I style with Curls Blueberry Bliss Twist N Shout Cream
You can read my post on the installation process HERE
The longer twists may look like a lot of hair but they are extremely light weight & can be styled in so many different ways. 


CROCHET FAUX LOCS


We love, love, love these faux locs. Crochet faux locs offer up the beauty of locs with an easy installation process.

GET THE LOOK.
Unlike the individual crochet braids these faux locs are crocheted onto cornrowed hair. 
Read all about the installation process in my post HERE

BENEFITS OF PROTECTIVE STYLING.
Protective styling is not only really stylish but they also ease those busy school mornings, offer protection from the elements, help maintain moisture, provide length retention & help minimize damage to young hair. 

TIPS.
Start with freshly washed hair-You do not want to protective style on dirty hair that you plan on keeping in for weeks.
Don't pull too tight at the edges- The point is to protect the hair, if you're pulling hard on your edges, you're doing more harm than good. 
Moisturize- add moisture to your childs natural hair & scalp regularly. My favorite sort of DIY spray is a combination of water & leave-in conditioner that I spray onto the hair & scalp. I also use oils & scalp balms like Just For Me soothing scalp balm. 
Pre-treat the extension hair- There are almost always chemical coatings on synthetic hair. To protect your child from allergic reactions soak the hair in a 3 parts water, 1 part apple cider vinegar mixture for about 15 mins then rinse and let dry overnight.

Happy protecting!
Xo, Jeanice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan