Slider

Working mom.

Friday, June 24, 2016

It's 11:30pm and i'm sitting here...at a stand off with the last load of laundry that needs to be folded and put away. I've been up since 6:30am, moving non-stop. Running errands, cleaning, cooking, mothering...
and...it's my day off.

This is nothing, its summer time, I have a bit of a break. I mean, I have volunteered tirelessly at Jordyns school since Pre-k. I do testing, i'm room parent, and i'm there 3 days a week, 3+ hours a day. I sit on the board of the PTA.My family eats home cooked meals 5 days a week. I keep my house clean, my dogs walked, and no, aside from this last load of laundry staring me down, laundry isn't piled high or hiding in the dryer for weeks on end.
 I run an entire household...I do it well......and, I work.

Shocking? It shouldn't be. 
However, I do find that it surprises some people to find out that I have time to do the things that I do, work, AND be happy.  
 In fact...in first grade, the president of the PTA asked me to come in on a Friday night to help with some decorations. 
When I told her I couldn't make it because I had to work, her response was well.......a little offensive. She stood there, looking confused and questioned, in a tone that suggested it was beneath her.... " YOU HAVE A JOB?!"
*sigh....eyeroll.*

 Contrary to what the internet may have you believing if you're not an entrepreneur, not everyone that isn't working for themselves hates their job. 
 I enjoy my job...I am happy at work.. Genuinely happy. 
See that smile? Thats the smile of genuine happiness on my way to work. 

 I work at a local brewhouse. My job is fun and fast paced and i'm happy. I make great money, the staff is all very close, the company treats us all really well, the owner doesn't parade around as if he's above his employees...instead he treats everyone like family. It's really a great job. The best thing about my job is that it gives me the flexibly to be the mom that I want to be. I work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday nights, which leaves me free to be mom during the week. I'm also able to take vacation and time off basically any time I want or need. My job allows me to leave work at work, so that I can focus my time and attention on my family. 

Running a household, being active and present in my daughters life, being present in my relationship, taking time for myself and working outside the home....isn't easy, in fact, it requires a lot of balance...it's all about balance. 


I find work/life balance in a variety of ways. 

1st: I plan and write out everything. In a notebook and a planner. I plan out each week from meals, to activities, to grocery shopping, to bills, to house cleaning, to PTA agendas, to me time,....everything. Literally, the key to my time management is having a written, planned out agenda. The key is to plan but not over-plan. Don't sink yourself with too many demands.

The planner I use is this MAMBI Happy Planner .


2nd: I prioritze "ME" time. Setting aside time for myself daily, whether its a full day or 30 minutes, helps me feel happier, more fulfilled, and all around more balanced. 


"ME" time is different for everyone but here are a few fun ideas.


and lastly, I set my boundaries.

When I started working, during the interview I was very clear about what schedule I could work and that my daughter and family was my priority. I think a lot of working moms feel guilty because they give so much to their workplace and hardly ever say no.


Remember that its ok to say no. Setting your boundaries are crucial to your work/life balance.

Working mamas;
Set your boundaries, connect with your spouse, share the chores, lower your expectations, and ditch the "working mom" guilt.

Xo, Jeanice



No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan